Sunday, July 25, 2010

a big day

This was one of those days that we look forward to as a parent, and then can't believe that it is here once it arrives.  My big boy was made an elder today by his dad - what a wonderful moment.  The Bishop presented him with the Duty To God award, and then he also had to give a "real" talk in church today, not just a youth talk, and then last but not least. help his dad with a blessing at a home teaching visit.  Welcome to being a grown-up!  After all that he packed his green National Guard backpack (it wasn't even full!) and we dropped him off at the hotel where he will stay until 4:30 am tomorrow where he will be transported to Ft. Benning GA, and start basic training!  My #2 has flown the coop!  I'd be lying if I said my heart wasn't aching.  He was the kid who clung to me and wouldn't go to nursery or class, when he was a toddler.  He was the kindergartener who prayed fervently every morning and night for the new baby to be a boy, because it wouldn't be fair to have more girls.  He got his Preston, and they have been chums ever since.  Preston won't know what to do by himself with the boy kingdom in the basement now.  DJ is (mostly) a ray of sunshine around here and it just won't be the same without him, or his bevy of friends who come in and out at all hours, stopping off at the fridge as they go.  I will miss them too, hopefully they will still stop by, maybe just to see Mason at least.  I can't wait to go to Ft. Benning and see him graduate!  Then it will be off to Missouri for more National Guard training, after that we get him for the whole month of December! 
     In other news, I semi-decorated Mason's room and it turned out so cute if I do say so myself!!  We took out the crib and all the crib decorations and put in a little fire truck toddler bed.  I needed new stuff for the walls so I finally went to the thrift store to see what I could find.  I found a frame and put the Chinese characters in it that are supposed to be Mason's name, at least that's what the guy told us that drew the letters.  He could have been lying and it really says something else, but it's cool anyway.  I'll post pics of the other stuff, it was all less that $40, so not too bad.  We also got rid of the bottle (yes, he's 2 1/2), the bad news is all he wants is his sippy cup.  Does it end??  We held out yesterday and didn't give him his sippy of milk and he finally ate some actual food after his afternoon nap.  The kid is stubborn.  But cute.  I wonder how all this will play out when he goes to day care a few hours a day in the fall.  Having other kids around to play with will be total heaven for him, he gets so excited when there are playmates. 
These are pics of all the cousins at the reunion, I know, random, but I forgot to put them in earlier!
     I guess the quieter days that lie ahead are just an indication of how life will be from now on for us, the kids get older, and the house gets emptier.  Not always a bad thing - but for today, I miss my boy.             

1 comment:

  1. I agree - DJ is a ray of sunshine! I'm sorry that this is so hard. I look at Garrett and he's really almost a man too. It sounds like he's going to get some really extensive training in the Guard! I love Mason's room! Those Chinese characters look great, whether they way Mason or not. Got a good new Chinese Novelist for you - Lisa See "Peony In Love" and "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" - great books!

    Melecia

    ReplyDelete