Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Lazy Summer Days

     Life here at the Hansen household is pretty slow and easy these days.  Karly and Preston are with their friends most of the time, and Mason and I hang out and watch a little Sesame Street.  This morning I took pity on our poor baby that goes and sits in the bike trailer when he wants to go on a ride.  I took him for a long ride to the library and the grocery store and a few other errands.  It was really fun, though tiring, and the little trailer was bursting with groceries on the way home.  I felt bad for Mason squeezed in one corner surrounded by loaves of bread and my gigantic purse.  He took it all in stride, as long as he's riding in the trailer he doesn't care.  Today after naptime I will take him to the lake and hang out there, Mason loves digging in the sand and will even play in the water now.
     I am gearing up for my full-time grad student status in the fall, and have pretty much worked through all my guilt at putting Mason in daycare.  He gets so lonely with me during the days when the kids are at school, and he loves being around other little kids so much.  The daycare only has 5 kids and came very highly recommended, she also has them do some preschool each morning.  Anyway, I am actually kind of excited for him to be around other kids all day.  I am also excited to be around other grown-ups as well.  The 22-month program should fly by without too much hassle for everyone, and I will hopefully be successful!!  With Mason in daycare I can get everything done during the day for school and have the evenings and weekend for family.  Jim is Mr. Supportive, though part of it might be the possibility of mom bringing home a paycheck eventually!!  Long hot summer days are the best though - some of my favorite memories as a kid come from those days - floating down the canal, jumping off the bridge into the river, riding our bikes in to the Shelley swimming pool, all of us sitting downstairs together snapping huge piles of beans that have been poured out onto a blanket.  Every once in while an errant earwig would crawl out of the beans and one of the boys would smash it.  There was chokecherry picking, and camping, going on long drives on Sundays and for me - lots and lots of babysitting of younger siblings.  Hopefully they are not too scarred from the experience.  I hope my kids have lots of fond summer memories to look back on as well!       
 

No comments:

Post a Comment