Friday, May 28, 2010

Reasons I will miss D to the J when he goes away!!!

My eighteen-year-old son is just weeks away from graduating from high school and leaving us; going to basic training, college, a church mission, and on and on.  He will be missed.  For his graduation party I was assigned to make a poster that encompasses  the essence of DJ, sort of an homage of sorts.  In Minnesota, grad parties are huge; we are combining with five other graduates for one party, so that is a relief!  So, after working on this poster I decided to list some of the reasons that we will miss our DJ.
1:  He eats all the leftovers!  Really.  Everyday for his after-school "meal" he dishes up a huge plate of leftovers; and likes it.  He never complains about them, he likes leftovers.  Moving on. 
2:  The silly things he does that makes us laugh.  A lot.  Example - one morning I went downstairs to wake up the boys and notice one of my nice tablecloths (a cute green-striped number) hanging off the edge of the bunkbed.  I inquire as to why my tablecloth (that I had actually wondered about, how does a tablecloth disappear!) was hanging off DJ's bed.  His answer - it is a sheet, not a tablecloth.  Lest you think this was a preadolescent error, it happened just a few months ago.  His explanation was that on laundry day he saw it all nice and folded and thought, "oh, a nice pretty green-striped sheet, thanks mom!"  He then grabbed it and put it on his pile of clean clothes and took it all downstairs.  That night he slept on a lovely green-striped sheet - no top sheet, no elastic corners, but whatever.  The funny thing is that Preston, our 11-year-old that sleeps in the other bunk, knew all along that DJ was sleeping on a tablecloth.  I guess he figured that his is not to ask why his big brother does what he does!
3:  OK, I'll say it - he is a great taxi boy!  I will have to take over this task until Karly has her license.  Ugh!!
4:  The way he loves his new baby brother.  Like all of our kids, he was so excited for out little China baby to come home.  He plays with him, watches movies with him, changes his diaper, takes him to the park, and is an all-around awesome big brother to all of his siblings.  He has made a facebook page for Mason, asks where Mason is the first thing whenever he walks in the door, and even had a birthday party for Mason with all of his friends.  Cute!!  I love this kid.
5:  His kindness, his sense of humor, his willingness to help out (well, mostly), and his effort to just be a good kid.

1 comment: