Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The peace after the storm

It is 11:43 am on a Thursday morning, the kids are finally back in school, I don't have to work today, and the peace and quiet that I so love has finally descended.  I even put the dog in her crate just to ensure a completely interruption-free interlude.  (The cat, however, is always welcome, he is our dear old gentleman and I would never deny him a welcome, as he always knows how to be a low-impact companion.  Plus he's super soft and purrs a lot.)  Though the cold here is nothing like Minnesota, especially now - when schools there are closing for -45 degree weather (yes, that's a minus!!!), it has been uncharacteristically cold here, and school has been cancelled outright, and a 2-hr late start today.  But now - at last - silence.  Though Mason did miss the bus, (it came way early!!), and I had to drive him, and he said he hates school, and he said couldn't put on his seatbelt because it was 'too cold', and the van broke down IN THE DRIVEWAY, and the dog ran over to the neighbors' and I had to chase him in my pajamas and Jim's gigantic parka, (though to the neighbor's credit, they did help me chase the dog, and didn't laugh at my ridiculous zigzagging technique to try and catch the dog, yes, my dignity is gone by the way) and, and, and, it is now recharge time.  Don't get me wrong - Christmas was just SOOO nice.  Everyone was home, games were played, laughter was frequent, food was plentiful, and yes, tears were shed when everyone left, but still, I'm not gonna lie, I love a quiet morning when I am the sole occupant of the house.  The question is, what to do with that time.  I have already eaten a whole sleeve of Ritz crackers, (I'm not proud of it, but they were open and took the least amount of effort to grab), and had a Diet Coke, (non-negotiable).  There are many tasks that are on my list, (Laundry, cleaning, organizing, figuring out my new sewing machine!!), but really, I think Netflix is going to win this battle.  Now, deciding which new series to commit too - a big decision, very big.  Wish me luck.  Later on I just might go to yoga.  Namaste.      

No comments:

Post a Comment