Friday, September 2, 2011

Summertime comes to a close

I had dreams of being a world-class blogger when I started this blog, chronicling my children's lives and the ups and downs of our family, but I have turned into a blog-reader instead.  I lurk and read about other families instead of writing about mine, which is a little sad, so I will try to do better, though the picture downloading thing still freaks me out a little; pathetic, I know.  This has been quite the summer, sending off our precious and funny DJ to the MTC and now to Mexico, where apparently the mosquitoes love his fresh gringo blood, and the language is starting to make sense to his previously Spanish-averse brain.  It probably helps that his companions speaks no English, and that no one in a several mile radius speaks much English either - necessity tends to get things done, and in this case, get the Spanish words and conjugations settling in his brain!  We miss him, but are so excited always for the experiences he is having, and for the wonderful man that he is becoming. 
Girls' Camp in Nauvoo was just...awesome.  I can't think of a better word.  My throat ached the whole time with unshed tears as I watched the wonderful girls of the Lakeville Stake learn about the Nauvoo Saints, the history of what took place there in Nauvoo, and to have experiences like a real handcart trek (yeah, it was real, my pants were muddy up to my knees!), do baptisms at the Nauvoo temple, visit Carthage jail, and experience all that Nauvoo had to offer.  The first two days were record-setting hot, and the suffering was real, but the last 3 days were milder, and much more bearable.  I hated for it to be over, and also that I had to miss the first two days because of class.....
Speaking of school, I survived the summer semester, and came out of it with decent grades to boot.  Not a day went by when I didn't ask myself yet again, why I was putting myself through this ordeal, but, it will all be worth it in the end.  I stayed home all by myself for a whole week while Jim (the trooper) took the kids to the family reunion in Island Park.  This with a brand-new knee to boot, he did great, he even had to cook breakfast for 40 all by himself when it was our turn to make a meal.  I prepared and sent him off with as much help as I could, and they all had a great time with family, with the instances of vomit and sickness kept to a bare minimum, since this is us we are talking about, those things are a non-negotiable part of any vacation or trip.  While they were gone I went to class, took two written exams, studied like crazy and passed a practical exam that I was so nervous for I was physically ill, and just generally had one of quietest weeks of my life!!  I also got more sleep than I've had since I started back to school!  I was sure glad to see them all arrive home however, and hated missing the family reunion, though next year sounds even better than ever. 
Karly got a job working at Wendy's, while DJ worked installing insulation or some yucky job like that for the month that he was home before his mission.  We got to meet his girlfriend (with strict instructions to 'be normal' while she was here), and were so glad that she came and spent time with us (well, mostly DJ) before he left.  Preston has outgrown every pair of pants that I bought him last spring, and later today I will take him school shopping in order to be presentable for 7th grade - where did the time go???  Kasey came home from her job in Missouri to visit us and go to DJ's farewell, and then I got to drive back with her to Provo and help her get settled in her new apartment.  Why is an 18 hour drive such a nightmare in a  van with 5 people, and so fun in a little car with just two people.  Curious.  I visited with my sisters for a few days, and got to see the rest of the family too....nice house big brother!!!!!  I even had the thought that maybe possibly I could come back to the area to live, but let's not get crazy here; it was mostly because the very best chiropractor in the world lives near my sister and he came into the office on a Saturday just to adjust my neck.  This alleviated a horrible headache that I had had for days.  Thoughts of marriage did cross my mind; too bad I am already hitched to my true love, because this guy would be a contender.  Really.
This will be Kasey's last year, and the last drive back to Provo in the fall, an era is ending.  I can't wait to see what her future will bring her.  As always, there is our incomparable little Mason....he is the fun little machine that keeps our family smiling.  I truly don't know what we would do without him.  The kid has ruined me, I cry every time I think about how we got him, and what a miracle it is that he is a part of our family.  Sigh.....we just needed that extra little link at the end our family chain I guess. 
OK, since Kasey borrowed my camera and now I can't find it I have no pics to download - BORING!!  Oh well, I will find my camera and download next time, or a miracle could happen and I could figure out how to download from my phone.  Who knows.  After a 2-week break for me, we all start school on Tuesday, fun for everyone!!          

No comments:

Post a Comment