Saturday, June 11, 2011

It's late and I'm tired but.....

It has been so long since I posted, and I realized how much I like having a little record of our goings on around here, so I decided to take a minute to update so that someday my posterity will have one less reason to go to counseling as a result of being raised by yours truly.  Our cool DJ is leaving on his mission to Villahermosa Mexico in a little over a week.  It is hard to believe my little silly boy is so grown up.  He went through the temple today and it was just so cool to see him there.  It was very low-key, we drove up, just Jim and DJ and I, went through our session and stopped and got a Subway sandwich on the way home and kind of tried to be chill about the whole thing.  I remember when I went through it was actually kind of traumatic.  I wa getting married in just a few short days (terrifying!!), and the whole extended family came to go through with me, then we all went out to dinner.  Everyone kept asking me what I thought and how it was, and I was just so overwhelmed by everything that was going on that I just couldn't take it all in.  DJ is pretty chill anyway, (where did that come from) so it was just a nice low-stress day.  Kids these days.....they are so much more prepared for life. 

Karly turned 16 (gasp) which ended a nearly two-year countdown to dating and driving, but unfortunately culminated in the non-passing of the driving test at the DMV.  All of us mothers were in the waiting area watching our kids drive through the testing range.  Karly completely backed over a cone and I knew it was over.  If a kid flunks they stay in the car while the tester gets out to come talk to the parent.  It was a very long walk to the truck for me.  Very long.  I opened the door and the keys came flying out.  Strike one.  I got in and the tears and sobbing commenced.  Strike two.  On the drive home it was determined that the result of the test was completely my fault because I hadn't taught her how to avoid backing over cones.  Strike three.  Bad day.  Upon arriving home Karly collapsed face-down on the beanbag chair and didn't move for quite some time.  Jim finally made her get up and go to school...but man!!!  What a drama queen!!  The next Friday the driving test was successfully passed, this time with dad in attendance.  Whew......life can continue now.

Preston is currently convinced that life is over because of the mandatory attendance of summer school for him.  That is what happens when you FLUNK MATH!!!  Life is tough, but Jim finally told him if he didn't stop complaining that he would lose all TV and video game privileges FOREVER.  Every once in a while dad really means what he says, and as a result Preston has been his usual cheerful self - even with the dreaded purgatory of summer school looming. 

Mason of course is the icing on the cake for all of us, he just couldn't be any cuter.  He also couldn't be any more rotten, but we take the whole package......the kid can turn on the charm like no other, but man can he throw a fit.  After 4 previous accomplished fit throwers though, I am truly immune to it.  Unless we are in a public place I don't even bat an eye, it is actually kind of fun to ignore a 3-year-old meltdown - it sure does make life easier.  One thing I have learned is that if throwing a fit doesn't get a reaction that eventually he will stop - I'm hoping that holds true for this little guy.  His new favorite saying is "What the heck??"  It is so cute, if he is feeling ignored or can't find a toy or something similar he throws that phrase out and it always makes us smile.  DJ took him to Kung Fu Panda 2 the day it came out, the first one is his favorite movie (weird!) but in this one Po finds out he's adopted!!  I can't wait to see it with our little Po.  It's funny he also loves Tarzan, another adoption story.  Not a day goes by that I don't think about how grateful I am for adoption and what a blessing it is for us - I still firmly believe that this tiny little boy that was born in Baoji City China was somehow destined to end up in Lakeville Minnesota - the Lord truly works in mysterious ways. 

OK, I've done my schoolwork for the day, and must get to bed to make it to a ward conference in the morning....poor Jim, another Sunday on his own.  He can whip up a Sunday dinner now with the best of them, and get the dishes done too.... what a guy.  I do miss them when I go to ward conferences however, some of them are a long ways away and I am gone all day.  Next time I will post some pictures as my camera is completely full and I need to download them!!!  

     

No comments:

Post a Comment